Welcome to the Brucejack Mine
The Brucejack Mine is an underground gold mine located in Northwest British Columbia, owned and operated by Pretivm Resources Inc.
As an employer, we are committed to ensuring a safe, comfortable and diverse working environment. We are working closely with our neighbours – the local communities and First Nations - to provide employment.
About the Opportunity
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Health & Safety Superintendent to join the Brucejack Mine in Northwestern, British Columbia.
Located approximately 65 kilometers from Stewart, you will report to the Health, Safety, & Security Manager or designate and work a rotating schedule encompassing 14 days on/off.
In this role, you will assist in leading the H&S Team in the development, implementation, monitoring. and continuous improvement of the sites Occupational Health and Safety System. You will also provide the necessary H&S support and advice to Managers, Supervisors, Employees, and Contractors that will drive the safety culture on the mine site towards zero injuries.
Occupational Health & Safety is our highest priority during all stages of our activities. We are committed to the well-being of our employees, contractors, visitors and all other stakeholders by creating and maintaining a safe working environment and positive safety culture. We share a commitment to a safe and healthy workplace, which requires that each employee and contractor takes individual responsibility for safety – for themselves and their coworkers. H&S policies and practices are actively supported by management, and accountability measures for H&S performance exist at all levels.
Key duties include:
- Continuing to develop and implement the sites Safety Management Systems to all stakeholders, ensuring that health and safety strategies and action plans support a healthy and safe work site with the departments and site contractors
- Identifying areas that can be improved upon in safety, and setting attainable goals and targets with the management team(s), departments, and stakeholders
- Ensuring that all incidents are thoroughly investigated, root causes are identified, and corrective actions are implemented to reduce reoccurrence
- Ensuring the necessary safety training is delivered/undertaken prior to workers performing tasks, and ensuring a method of competency evaluation is in place
- Providing leadership and advice as a JOHS committee representative, and assisting in influencing the committee towards a proactive approach to site safety improvements
- Acting as liaison to, and where necessary, providing leadership to the medical service provider, site security contractor and avalanche technician teams
- Helping plan and participating in internal or external audits, as well as assisting in the management and monitoring of the annual budget
- Helping to identify, support, and oversee key emergency response initiatives and training opportunities to strengthen the sites emergency response capabilities
- Assisting in writing all required internal and external reports, checking for accuracy, and ensuring they are delivered on time
- Assisting in the oversight of the sites Occupational Health & Hygiene monitoring programs, medical surveillance programs, and hazardous materials management programs
- Helping to oversee and implement the site H&S software system, ensuring that all supervisors and users are adequately trained to input data
- Working closely with various sites on safety activities, serving as an internal resource to keep current on safety trends in the company
- Overseeing avalanche and mountain safety teams in the absence of the HSS Manager
- Participating in daily and weekly safety meetings across all departments, and facilitating risk assessment workshops and safety-related input for major capital projects
For this role, we are seeking someone a degree or certification in Occupational Health & Safety, or Industrial Hygiene, or a Canadian Registered Safety Professional (CRSP), and/or equivalent relative experience as a safety lead, preferably in the mining industry.
In addition, the successful candidate will also have:
- 7-10 years of experience in the Health & Safety field, with 2-3 years in a lead safety role
- Experience working with developing and implementing Safety Management Systems (SMS)
- Exceptional knowledge of the mining regulations and WCB legislation
- Strong computer experience and database administration and management skills
- Knowledge of mine rescue and emergency response programs
- Knowledge of occupational health & hygiene programs
- Strong interpersonal skills to liaise with site departments and contractors
- The ability to work with all departments to solve safety related issues
- The ability to effectively communicate to a variety of personnel from senior management to laborers with sensitivity towards cultural and political differences
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- The ability to effectively manage project timelines and provide leadership
- Strong time management, planning, and organizational skills and be highly self-motivated and self-organized
- The ability to lift/move up to 50lbs throughout a work shift, maintain high levels of performance over 12-hour shifts, and work in areas of extreme weather conditions at mountain elevations, as well as in close quarters with the team
- Must have strong knowledge of WorkSafe Regulations
What we can offer you
We are committed to ensuring that all of our team members are kept healthy and safe. To achieve this, we provide comfortable camp accommodations, as well as balanced meals prepared by our culinary team.
Team members can expect access to TV and wifi, our on-site gym and a variety of recreational activities.
All of our team members are also rewarded with a host of great benefits, including:
- Paid travel days, including transport to and from site
- Competitive salary commensurate with experience, skills, and qualifications
- Extended medical benefits and wellness coverage
- RRSP matching program
It is important to note that the wellbeing of our team is our top priority. As such, we promote a drug and alcohol-free work environment through the use of mandatory pre-employment drug and alcohol testing.
If you're looking for an exciting new challenge join Pretivm and the Brucejack Mine today.
*Please submit your resume and cover letter in .PDF and .DOC or .DOCX documents only